Spring equals action. Why?
By: Mary Teeter, Director of Development
“Human beings must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.” ~ Einstein
Spring is a time of action. It has been nearly synonymous with getting moving and cleaning out the corners of your life for thousands of years.
The fact that who-knows-how-many-millions-of-people engage in a ritual of spring action (spring cleaning!) every year is pretty impressive. Where does this impulse come from?
- Some trace it to the Jewish holiday, Passover, when Jewish households are cleaned top-to-bottom to ensure the good riddance of leavened bread (chametz), as an act of respect for enslaved ancestors who ate unleavened bread (matzah) in Egypt.
- Others link it to the Persian New Year (Nouroz), when Persian women prepare for the celebration by engaging in “khooneh takouni” – or, “shaking the house.”
- It could be associated with Eastern Orthodox Churches or other Christians who cook and clean the home leading into the season of Lent.
- Maybe, interestingly, it’s been reinforced in the United States through IRS deadlines. Americans must file taxes before April 15 – so we find ourselves sifting through corners for receipts and donation acknowledgements that have piled up over the year.
- Or it simply could be biology… our bodies respond to the dark winter months by producing more melatonin, which causes sleepiness. As we take in more sunshine, we produce less melatonin and have more energy. Thus, we spring into action.
Whether related to Christianity, Judaism, the Persian New Year, the IRS or simple biology, when the sun begins to shine longer: human beings start moving.
This spring, as you’re getting moving, assess your priorities. What do you value? What are you grateful for? What has been formative in your life? And then consider making it part of your movement by donating, volunteering or spreading the word.
Do you love travel? Do you care about education and youth? Does the sun remind you how precious our Earth’s resources are?
Greenheart is proud to value cultural exchange, volunteerism, personal development and the environment. Our mission is to connect people and planet to create a more peaceful and sustainable global community. This spring, we reaffirmed this at the Greenheart Launch Party on May 3 in Chicago, commemorating the new name for all our united branches: Greenheart International.
You can join us in this new movement, by springing into action and transforming the world.
Each year, we offer our special Environmental Service Learning Scholarship to economically disadvantaged Chicago high school students. ESLS forwards students’ education, inspires a life-long commitment to the environment and allows them the transformative experience of learning and living in a new culture. Your gift this spring can change a life. Help us by donating today!